The birds are chirping their sweet love songs, the stores are stuffed to bursting with red paper hearts, and it feels like everyone has a Valentine this year but you. While it can seem like throwing love away for the day is the best route to take on this notoriously mushy of days, how about I suggest something radical this year? How about you spend the day as your own Valentine!
I know it sounds a little silly – after all, Valentine’s day is generally for couples. But if Valentine’s Day is about love in all forms, why don’t we make it include people who just want to love themselves? If you’re date-less this Valentine’s day, you should take a day to do all of your favorite things and pamper yourself! Not sure where to start? Here’s a few ideas:
- Flowers: If you’re into flowers, why wait for someone else to get them for you? Go nab yourself a pretty bouquet to remind yourself how gorgeous you are! Don’t forget to set them up where you can see them so you remember to tell yourself how great you are every day!
- Food: I don’t know about you guys, but nothing says “awesome date” like my favorite food! Take the night to treat yourself to your all-time favorite dinner, whether that’s delivery pizza and cheesy garlic bread, or a nice homemade meal at home, or even take-out Chinese food! Enjoy the solitude of not having to please anyone else’s tastebuds for a night and indulge yourself. After dinner, make sure you pick up your favorite dessert – today is an extra special dessert day because you don’t have to share 😉
- Entertainment: I’m a sucker for a Star Wars or LOTR movie marathon, or even a solid few hours of binge watching New Girl or Game of Thrones! Make a date with your couch and coziest pajamas tonight – nothing beats a few hours of mind-numbing entertainment 🙂 Alternatively, if you’re not so much into TV, pick up a book you’ve always wanted to read from the library on your way home! Bonus points if you have a fuzzy friend to cuddle and spend the night with!
- Spa Night! Ladies, we all know how great a soak in the tub and foot scrub feels – take half an hour tonight to pamper yourself any way you like: Face mask, foot scrub, hair mask, moisturizer – go all out! Fellas, this includes you too – you’d be surprised how great a face mask can make you feel. Give it a try!
- Technology Break: When I take a night for myself, I like to shut off my phone and my laptop and just get away from as many screens as possible. If I’m watching TV or a movie, obviously that’s one screen that’s required, but I always find a sense of peace from being away from my phone and computer – mainly social media and work! Put away the unnecessary connections tonight and just focus on yourself 🙂
For the date-less this Valentine’s day, remember – you don’t need someone else to make you whole, you’re perfectly complete by yourself! Enjoy the day and enjoy the solitude – it doesn’t come around too often!